Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Just When I Thought It Safe...

So much for injection getting easier. Tonight was supposed to be Right Arm night. The original hold CK had Robby in made his arm too tight to his body for me to get a good pinch to put the needle in so I asked him to adjust. Robby was pretty worked up and as soon as the needle went in, he tried to pull away and it popped back out. A fat drop of blood welled up and I just stood there feeling dumb. I wasn't sure what to do. I hadn't really had a chance to administer any of the medicine. I wasn't sure if I could re-inject with the same needle. In my haze, I laid the syringe down and the needle made contact with the table. Well at least that settled that...a new dose had to be drawn up. Of course now that Robby knew what was up he screamed the whole time I was prepping the new dose. I mean he really screamed--like we were beating him or something. The windows were open and I became absolutely certain someone was going to call the cops or children services or someone. I would have welcomed either one if they were willing to give him the shot...(sigh). We decided arms are just too hard and we are going to have to figure out how to get by with just thighs for awhile. At least until he quits fighting us.

I was able to inject in the right thigh with minimal fuss aside from a massive amount of crying. The sticker trick worked again to calm him down. Once he was situated and reading a book with CK, I had to leave the room. I was too shaken up. I went in my room and felt like I was going to cry but I laid down on the bed for a minute and it passed. I came back out and held Robby for a little while and read him a book. Then it was time to get ready for bed.

What an evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment